Valuable Insights from Around the Web – Tue 3 Jan, 2017
A few headlines to end the day
Here are a number of headlines that caught my eye today. Please share any headlines that you found to be noteworthy.
All hail the uptrend https://t.co/ksDalAvyXF
Of course that doesn’t mean markets will go up from here. It is not ‘that’ easy after all! pic.twitter.com/Y9z14fJj4f
— Chris Bailey (@Financial_Orbit) January 3, 2017
China central bank injects $124.9 billion in Dec, up 13 percent from Nov
Foreign Exodus From Treasuries Puts Damper on Any Rally
FactSet Q4 Earnings update
- Earnings Growth: For Q4 2016, the estimated earnings growth rate for the S&P 500 is 3.2%. If the index reports earnings growth for Q4, it will mark the first time the index has seen year-over-year growth in earnings for two consecutive quarters since Q4 2014 and Q1 2015.
- Earnings Revisions: On September 30, the estimated earnings growth rate for Q4 2016 was 5.2%. Eight of the 11 sectors have lower growth rates today (compared to September 30) due to downward revisions to earnings estimates, led by the Materials sector.
- Earnings Guidance: For Q4 2016, 77 S&P 500 companies have issued negative EPS guidance and 34 S&P 500 companies have issued positive EPS guidance.
- Valuation: The forward 12-month P/E ratio for the S&P 500 is 16.9. This P/E ratio is based on Thursday’s closing price (2249.26) and forward 12-month EPS estimate ($132.79).
- Earnings Scorecard: As of today (with 4% of the companies in the S&P 500 reporting actual results for Q4 2016), 68% of S&P 500 companies have beat the mean EPS estimate and 37% of S&P 500 companies have beat the mean sales estimate.
India’s gold imports hit 13-year low