Minimize

Welcome!

John Feneck – Resource Portfolio Manager and Consultant – Insights on specific gold and silver stocks

Cory
January 13, 2021

I am happy to introduce a new guest to the show, John Feneck. John is an independent Portfolio Manager that writes a newsletter and also actively helps his clients and subscribers manage their metals stock portfolio. We discuss a couple stocks that John likes in the gold and silver sector, from small cap to large cap.

Feel free to reach out to John through email at johnf@feneckconsulting.com. You can also email me with any stocks or topics you would like to hear from John about. My email is Fleck@kereport.com.

Click here to visit the Feneck Consulting website to learn more about John’s services.

Discussion
35 Comments
    Jan 13, 2021 13:41 AM

Thanks, Cory. Mr. Feneck sounds very smart. Glad to hear his thoughts on NEM.
    I never bought NEM but after they bought my FNV and GG it is now my biggest holding.

Jan 13, 2021 13:46 PM

Hi Bonzo, appreciate the kind words. Please email me so we can set a brief call, when you’re ready.

BDC
    Jan 13, 2021 13:33 AM

RATES: https://postimg.cc/30kCqvzD
    Possible short-term Chapman ‘F’ top.

BDC
    Jan 13, 2021 13:43 AM

Sideways for awhile?

Jan 13, 2021 13:23 AM

Mr. Feneck has been spot-on with AUMN and several other juniors. Highly profitable, way ahead of the crowd.

Jan 13, 2021 13:45 PM

Thanks very much for your kind feedback, Ken!

Jan 14, 2021 14:41 PM

Yes, AUMN Golden Minerals has been a nice performer in my portfolio as well, and I was happy to see them just get into Gold production, but as John F. mentioned, I’m a bit more excited to see them get their Silver/Gold/Base Metals deposits into production.

Jan 13, 2021 13:50 AM

Good interview Cory, I actually listened twice.I am down the road from him in Tucson & plan to him out.

Jan 13, 2021 13:21 PM

Hey Chris, please email me and we can set a time to talk. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2021 13:50 AM

check him out……..bad typo

BDC
    Jan 13, 2021 13:52 AM

His interview with Dave Erfle:

Jan 13, 2021 13:44 PM

Wow! (URG) Ur-Energy is up about 42% on the day if you count the crazy action into afterhours trading (where I just unloaded more of my position).

URG closed up 27.59% to $1.11 and then in the aftermarket is up another 14.41% up to $1.27

I’m not sure where all the buying pressure is coming from, but I lightened up the load on my shares into this move today (and would love to buy them back tomorrow for less than I just sold them in today’s session and then more in afterhours trading.

BDC
      Jan 13, 2021 13:23 PM

Cool! It did lawful ABCs, then topped off,
      with a double extension (+2cents) at $1.44.
      Though compressed timing, it may hold much.

BDC
        Jan 13, 2021 13:40 PM

URB: https://postimg.cc/Hc91h96Z
        Same day. Very lawful 1.5x extension.

BDC
          Jan 13, 2021 13:00 PM

Possible GDX ‘stock’ option play.
          GOLD: https://postimg.cc/hXYybZq8
          Biden’s afternoon blather may spur
          a good up move in Gold, and miners!
          Out of money calls could be cheap
          as Friday is options expiration.

Jan 13, 2021 13:57 PM

Thanks BDC — That’s one heck of a daily chart from URG today. Look at that afterhours action. I didn’t realize it had jumped up to $1.44 at one point, but personally sold at $1.07 during the normal trading session, and then another chunk at $1.26 in afterhours trading. It pains me to think about how much more I’d have made selling above $1.40, but it was quite a profitable trade overall. I’ll be looking for a reasonable pullback to reload that part of the position once again.

Jan 14, 2021 14:59 AM

Just reviewing Wednesday’s trading, I trimmed back my Jaguar, Jubilee, and Grid Metals positions, but added a bit to Freegold, Baru Gold, Goliath Resources, Western Copper & Gold, and initiated 1 new starter position in NewCore Gold.

If we get more selling pressure the balance of this week or next week, there are other positions I’d like to add to; but may just wait until next week, as I’ll be able to buy back a few of my December tax loss sales.

Jan 14, 2021 14:33 AM

… and here’s the company release where they state no real reason for Wednesday’s trading activity. Someone was buying in bulk, because an average trading day is 1.42 Million, and Wednesday URG traded 21.8 Million. That’s crazy!

_______________________________________________

(URG) (URE) Ur-Energy Responds to Market Activity

by @accesswire on 13 Jan 2021, 09:35

“Ur-Energy Inc., at the request of IIROC on behalf of the Toronto Stock Exchange, confirms that it is not aware of any material, undisclosed information related to the Company that would account for the recent increase in the market price and level of trading volume of its common shares.”

BDC
            Jan 14, 2021 14:06 AM

URG pulled back to $1.16 this morning
            and may now be hunting the 2014 high.

Jan 14, 2021 14:35 PM

Yes, today’s range on URG has been between $1.34 and $1.06 (currently at $1.17), but again the volume is massive at over 25 million, compared to the historic average volume of 1.5 – 2 Million daily.

That is a lot of new buying pressuring the stock up, and has got to be a very high-net individual(s) or fund(s). For them to get positioned in size really moves the stock price and market cap valuation.

That is the thing with the tiny universe of Uranium stocks, when a larger interest comes in, it is like an elephant jumping into a baby pool. As more money flows come into the U sector, then moves like what we’ve just seen with Ur-Energy, will become more and more common.

Jan 13, 2021 13:38 PM

Congratulations Ex, you are a great inspiration to us all here. Once again you have proven how well your trading strategy works. DT

Jan 13, 2021 13:40 PM

Grasshopper is learning! LOL! DT

Jan 13, 2021 13:38 PM

Thanks DT. Ur-Energy has been a solid position with nice gains, but when it jumped up today and then more in afterhours, then I had to pull some chips off the table. The uranium stocks have been strong lately, but URG had some crazy action today, so I bowed out of much of my position. Granted, I’ll be looking for a retracement to add that position back, as I still want a good weighting for the longer term U run.

Jan 13, 2021 13:43 PM

Sticking with that theme of taking chips of the table when one has had a nice run:

This evening, my lady and I went into an actual casino (considered an essential business), after a doing a beachside picnic. I told her we wouldn’t stay all night, and that I was going straight to the craps table and was going to be aggressive and would lose big or win big. I told her she may not want to watch. She wasn’t allowed within 6 feet of the table, since she wasn’t playing, due to the Covid-19 restrictions, but even so, when she was standing to the side and saw my row of red chips turn to green chips, and then green chips turn to black chips, she finally said, “should you take some of those chips off the table?”. After I rolled my next turn, and hit craps, I said, “you’re right sweetie, we discuss that very concept every day on the investment blog. Let’s get out of here.” The pit boss said, “oh, take the money and run hun?” I smiled under my mask, and said, “you know it.”

It turned out that even losing the last round bigly, that I was still up about 260% on the night, so not too shabby. Of course, I gave her the cash winnings and just kept my initial investment for the evening. 😉

Jan 14, 2021 14:41 AM

Ex, why did your lady get all the winnings win you took all the risk? This sounds like a losing proposition in the long run.

Jan 14, 2021 14:00 AM

Wow…:)

Jan 14, 2021 14:20 PM

Bonzo — Happy Wife…. Happy Life. (LOL!)

Jan 14, 2021 14:06 AM

What Do Rising Interest Rates Imply For Stocks, REITs And Gold?

Jan. 12, 2021 – James Picerno – Seeking Alpha

“Markets are now definitely pricing in rate hikes by the second half of 2023, but the time frame is a long way away and it will keep shifting, especially if the US continues to lose jobs as they did in December,” says Kenneth Broux, a strategist at Societe Generale in London.

“The future is still uncertain, but rates are clearly rising, albeit from an unusually low base. It’s unclear if the rise is one more in a line of temporary upside runs in an otherwise secular decline. Analysts have been predicting the end of the slide in yields for several decades and they’ve been wrong every time. Is this time different? Maybe, but the jury’s still out and it’ll take several months at the least to develop convincing evidence to the contrary.”

Jan 14, 2021 14:26 AM

Westhaven is getting cashed up for this year’s exploration season at their Shovelnose project. I’m very interested to see how their maiden resource estimate looks when they incorporate the next round of drilling with the previous drilling.

_________________________________________

(WHN) (WTHVF) Westhaven Announces Bought Deal Public Offering of C$10 Million

by @nasdaq on 13 Jan 2021

Jan 14, 2021 14:54 AM

The bummer is Westhaven did the bought deal at $.70 (below the current share price), so when the halt is released it may slide down from $.80 to $.70. I had just added a bit before this new was released, and in hindsight would have preferred to position after a news release like this, but the timing of it surprised me.

Regardless, if the pricing does drop down to $.70 due to this, then that would be a good place for it to find support, and I’m considering adding another tranche there.

Jan 14, 2021 14:28 AM

(PLG) (PTM) Platinum Group Metals Ltd. Reports First Quarter Results

by @newsfile on 13 Jan 2021

“The Company’s near-term objectives are to achieve the grant of a mining right for the palladium dominant Waterberg Project and complete construction funding and concentrate offtake arrangements. The Company is also advancing an initiative through Lion Battery Technologies Inc. in collaboration with Anglo American Platinum Limited and Florida International University. Lion was jointly formed in 2019 by Platinum Group and Anglo to accelerate the development of next-generation lithium battery technology using platinum and palladium.”

Jan 14, 2021 14:58 AM

While I’m still bullish on PLG Platinum Group Metals in the medium to longer term, I have recently taken profits in it on both Dec 18th at $4.99, and on Jan 4th at $4.86.

From my perspective, their valuation has really run hot, and it has been priced like production is imminent, yet they still have a lot of money to spend/raise and work to do at Waterberg.

The stock closed Wed Jan 14th at $4.88, so it’s right about where I sold most of the position 10 days ago, and still lower than where I sold it a month ago. I’m following the shareprice with interest, looking to see if it is top-heavy, and eventually rolls over and comes back down in valuation a bit.

This contributor over at S.A. seems to agree with the potential headwinds in both development, and the potential of more dilution in this editorial posted below:

_______________________________________

Platinum Group Metals: Still Not Enthusiastic

Jan. 13, 2021 – Fun Trading

Jan 14, 2021 14:59 AM

Correction: PLG closed on Wed Jan 13th (not 14th) at $4.88.

Jan 14, 2021 14:06 AM

I still have a very small tracking position in PLG, but am considering just canceling that out in Thursday’s trading, or possibly keeping it to build on if there is a drawdown in valuation over the next few months. It has a primary listing on the US NYSE and good liquidity, so it does make a good trading vehicle, but I’m not sure the risk reward setup today is as good as it was in years past, or even since last Fall.

Is anyone else invested in or following this company, and if so what is your outlook?