Al's Insights – Sun 5 Aug, 2012

More responses from Big Al

Al Korelin

Comments:
  1. On August 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm,
    Bobby says:

Al,
    thanks for the clarification regarding how your guests come to the show. Hey, if Jerry and I agreed with any of your real estate guests, it would not be fun at all. BTW, I drove past a duplex today listed for 168k with $21,600 annual income…I am actually going to investigate this one.
    Bobby

• On August 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm,
      Jerry O^OTB says:

bobby….we need to keep Al on his toes….

• On August 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm,
        AlKorelink says:

Oh my gosh I am I wearing ballet shoes?

Big Al

• On August 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm,
      AlKorelink says:

Okay here’s the deal,

• On August 5, 2012 at 9:01 pm,
        AlKorelink says:

Anyone who’s gonna be in chicago at the time is the conference, I would really like to get together with you. I mean all of you. First 1 is on me. You pick the spot.

Come on let’s all have some fun and great conversation.

Big Al

• On August 6, 2012 at 4:20 am,
          Bobby says:

Chicago is not my kinda town! Let me know when you are coming to sunny Florida and I will take you up on the offer.

• On August 6, 2012 at 9:05 am,

You know, Bobby, it’s interesting, but I have always enjoyed Chicago. Can’t really define just why, but we have always had a good time there.

Big Al

• On August 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm,
            Jerry O^OTB says:

ya AL….there are no NEW YORKERS IN CHICAGO……(HA HA)

• On August 6, 2012 at 6:42 pm,

In the Box,

Does seem to me anyway to be a bit of a different mentality in Chicago than in New York.

Big Al

• On August 6, 2012 at 6:50 pm,
            Jerry O^OTB says:

WHEN IS THE CONFERENCE..?

• On August 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm,

It is on Sept. 21 and 222 at the McCormick Place.

Couple of drinks on me, In the Box.

Big Al

2. On August 5, 2012 at 3:20 pm,
    Bobby says:

Al,
    Can I purchase your condo for 7 times annual gross rental income? If so, I just might make an offer. I could use a write off on NW travel (in the summer/fall only of course)
    Bobby
    Bobby

• On August 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm,
      AlKorelink says:

Hi Bobby,

I haven’t fallen off the turnip truck for at least 40 years!

Big Al

3. On August 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm,
    Proud Canuck says:

On living standards, I would like to contribute what I can…while I can’t give a source, I have heard that the peak living standard in the US was in ’73. Whether this was the year of average maximal take-home income as a high point as a percentage of income I’m not sure, but that’s my best guess.

The 90′s were great for many, but it was a false economy based on the beginning of a credit bubble, where at the peak the best teck companies were trading at 100x profit (If there was any profit)…and people who started websites where they sell cat food were valued at millions!

It’s my view that we won’t have great times again for the population at large until this market collapses, and at some point we return to an asset backed currency of perhaps 5% gold or more. The US has roughly 8100 tons (not sure if that is imperial -2000 lbs or metric -1000kg = 2200 lbs) let’s assume the later…that would equate to 251 910 000 oz. gold. If you take the current gold price of roughly 1600/oz that would equate to $403 billion; factor in the size of the US economy of roughly 16 trillion? and full 100% backing would equate gold to a value of $ 63 500+/oz …at 5%, $3 175 oz.

Just some food for thought in our currency crisis.

• On August 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm,
      Proud Canuck says:

The US government was able to create this 90′s bubble by lying about the inflation rate, thereby paying seniors less…in excluding food and energy from the cpi…so what was perhaps 5% inflation in real terms, was posted as 2-3%

• On August 5, 2012 at 4:48 pm,
      Bobby says:

PC,
      I agree with your account of the early 70′s. It was during this time 68-72 that I attended a private college. I was able to afford room, board, and tuition and beer for 4 years, by working part time and in the summer months. No major loans needed.

• On August 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm,
        Jerry O^OTB says:

Bobby…..ditto….looks like we are the same age…..how does it feel to be 39…..(jack benny….

4. On August 5, 2012 at 4:58 pm,
    AlKorelink says:

Hi Bobby and Proud C,

All I can do is agree with both of you,

Big Al

5. On August 6, 2012 at 6:05 am,
    castanheiro says:

Hi Bobby and Proud C,
    I, along with Big Al agree with you gentlemen 100%. Great analysis of the historical economics of the past. Like Al, I am learing so much from all of you.
    Thank you to all!!!
    Cast…

6. On August 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm,
    Joe Lebon says:

Thanks Al. I look forward to your discussion on job outsourcing. It is an important subject that is largely ignored by the msm and politicians alike. Nobody is speaking for the middle class on this subject.