Weekend Show – Sat 14 Jan, 2012

Politics and economics

In this show Al discusses:

• Segment 1 – Big Al opens the show with David McAlvany with political comments and ideas for investing.
  • Segment 2 – Ray Navis discusses how he became involved in resource investing and why he values the various investment conferences he attends. Good thoughts for listeners!
  • Segment 3 – Ron Hera of Hera Research discusses the detriment of big government actions to investing.
  • Segment 4 – James Turk discusses gold and his thoughts for the future.
  • Segment 5 – Here is what some young people from Even Keel Media think about the upcoming elections.
  • Segment 6 – An interesting new public company, Car Charging Group Inc. tied to electric automobiles is described by its founder Michael Farkas.
  • Segment 7 – Jeff Deist, Chief of Staff for Ron Paul, discuss economics and the upcoming election.
  • Segment 8 – Roger Wiegand is even more bullish (If that is possible!) on the future of gold.

Al KorelinRon HeraJames TurkJeff DeistRoger WiegandCarter Smith
Ray NavisMichael FarkasCory Fleck

Comments:
  1. On January 14, 2012 at 5:39 am,
    Jerry O^OTB says:

Al,,,,great show , as always….thanks.

• On January 14, 2012 at 10:58 am,

Thanks Jerry, it was a fun show to put together as they all are.

Have a great weekend,

2. On January 14, 2012 at 7:00 am,
    Dai Uy says:

Al:

I concur with Jerry. Excellent program.

I don’t share your optimism on all electric cars as opposed to Hybrids. Battery replacement costs are still too high. Hyundai is warranting their batteries on their hybrid for 100K miles. The range problem on all Electric cars may be overcome but probably at too high a price to make them economical for a long, long time.

CNG offers the best hope for reducing our oil dependence but it will take a while to build the necessary infrastructure. Shell Oil is in the process of doing just that with infrastucture being built along the I-5 corridor from San Diego to Vancouver but we are 10 years away from significant changes. Truck engines are available either as replacements or in retrofit kits from a small Chinese company largely owned by Cummins. Waste Management and Big Brown are moving toward eventually having 100% CNG fleets. T. Boone Pickens is correct in my view.

I don’t see how we can ever totally replace the fractional reserve banking system as the world’s economies are simply too large and PM’s too rare.. Having said that however. I do believe that China is on the right track to at least partially return to a semblance of the Gold standard as a method to enhance the value of their currency.

Just my humble thoughts………………….

• On January 14, 2012 at 8:02 am,

I have to respectfully disagree that “…the world’s economies are simply too large and PM’s too rare.” Annual global gold production has always added 1.5 – 2% to the gold supply — very similar to population growth. PM’s are fungible and easily divisible, so all that would required is a much higher price (to be in balance with the money supply). A sound foundation is never obsolete.

• On January 14, 2012 at 8:50 am,
        Dai Uy says:

Matthew:

If the U.S. had the entire gold supply and if we were to back our dollar 100%, Gold would have to be at least 10 K an ounce and that wouldn’t leave much, if any, for backing other currencies. Additionally, we would need some fractional reserve currency to meet the necessary expansion of credit which would be essential to grow business.

We are pretty much on the same page; the difference being that of degree.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:04 am,

Morning again Dai Uy,

You have to admit, great minds travels along similar paths!

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:03 am,

Morning Matthew,

I agree that a sound foundation is never obsolete. Will this theoretically best system ever be put into place? See my comment to Dai Uy.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:02 am,

Morning Dai Uy,

I think that there will always be a place for electric cars, but I do agree with you regarding the “Pickens alternative”..

Regarding the fractional reserve system, I think that theoretically it can be replaced and I think that an asset based system would make a lot more sense and certainly allow for much more honest economies.

Will that ever happen? Human nature being what it is, I think probably not.

Many thanks for the comments as always,

• On January 14, 2012 at 8:11 pm,
      castanheiro says:

Hello Big Al,
      I agree with Dai Uy and Jerry O^OTB. Great show!
      You just keep getting better and better.
      You and Trader Rog are a great team!
      Best to you both

• On January 15, 2012 at 8:39 am,

Thanks Mr C,

The show is an educational experience for me and really fun to put together.

Best,

3. On January 14, 2012 at 7:23 am,
    James B from Montreal says:

Paul Krugman is mentally disturbed. I have relatives in my family who are mentally disturbed so I understand the traits very well.

Gold is not really held in great repute just as it is not in Christianity.

The irony is that ” kesef” in hebrew means silver and money.

The reality is that Isral has 0.00 gold and silver. Stanley Fischer is their head financial boss and he refuses to spend one penny of the $40 billion of US dollars on PMs and refuses to allow any Israeli banks to invest in PM ETfs !!

Israel is obsessed with its military but will not see this financial hit when it comes

• On January 14, 2012 at 8:59 am,
      James C says:

I can’t believe how the general public knows so little about gold and silver investing, but most of them admit that there are so many things wrong with the economy. They feel frustrated and helpless and they don’t know what to do, but they are afraid to invest in gold or silver because they view it as speculation. They listen to the mass media and believe guys like Krugman who influence them to believe that gold is overvalued.

When you take time to explain your friends how you can’t reley on the government or politicians for help with the economy and the debt problem, they begin to take more serious notice on the problem.
      I always give them a few web linkis like kereport.com, mcalvaney.com/commentary and kitco.com for something they can utilize on their own.
      When they begin to learn more, they usually do something to invest more in real money stocks or funds. They begin to use PMs to diversify because it just makes sense – unlike the government and media tell us.
      It’s sad that most americans are not comfortable with diversifying in PMs but the rest of the world has no qualms about protecting their investments with PMs.
      But as more people get frustrated with the economic recovery they will eventually move towards gold and silver and that means our gold stocks will eventually catch up on their lagging prices.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:11 am,

Morning James C,

Good to hear from you.

It is interesting how different the Asians are in their investment philosophies. You and everyone must admit that they have been around one heck of a lot longer that we have. And, they have certainly been more successful for a much longer period of time than we have. I guess that says something!

• On January 14, 2012 at 9:27 am,
      James C says:

Even though the Isreali government might not invest in PMs, their country is a net exporter of products unlike our country. They also have a high tech software development industry which in many ways is now the best in the world. And they are the largest exporter of food, much of it to the EU.

Marc Faber says that if you want to make money you need to listen to what many of his jewish friends are doing and they are investing heavily in gold.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:12 am,

Hi James C,

Many of my Jewish friends are fanatical about investing in precious metals.

• On January 14, 2012 at 9:30 am,
      EDWARD MURPHY says:

correct -as Israel must be obsessed w/its military-60 years of independence proves it! However although its denied everyone seems to know they have nukes-same w/gold-to think Israel has no gold is folly, because there military is so important for their survival. ,Another caveat is that they’re “obsessed” w/ ground breaking medications-they’re biotech company’s are the3 most successful (per capita) in saving lives OF EVERYONE!!!

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:19 am,

Morning Edward,

Interestingly enough, I am invested in some of these biotech companies through the Encompass Fund.

• On January 15, 2012 at 8:42 am,

HI Edward,

We had dinner with Marshal (Encompass Fund) last night and I, in fact, am not invested in any Israeli bio-tech companies through the fund. Thought I was.

Please give me a couple that you like

Best and thanks,

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:08 am,

Morning James B,

I don’t know that he is necessarily mentally disturbed, but I do know that I disagree with much of what he says.

I thought that gold was held in great repute in Christianity because of its infinite durability. Am I wrong?

I also was not aware that Israel has no gold or silver. I guess that I never really thought about that

Thanks for the input

4. On January 14, 2012 at 7:35 am,
    tommy john says:

Direct registration of mining shares: Anyone please post names of brokerage companies that will participate in direction registration without a fight. Jeff Berwick is trying to sell this information for $50 but I believe those active in this forum will provide what information they have without asking for a fee. Thank you Big Al.

• On January 14, 2012 at 8:21 am,

Until just a few years ago, I held many positions in certificate form. TD Ameritrade was very easy to work with. When I deposited the shares after 2008, Scottrade was also very good. Interactive Brokers won’t deal with certificates at all.

I don’t currently think it’s worth the hassle or expense. I could change my tune, but at this time I agree with Bob Chapman, not Berwick or Sinclair.

• On January 14, 2012 at 9:20 am,
        Clay says:

Mathew: I have similar thinking about this issue, but at same time we must remind ourselves that Chapman, Berwick or Sinclair are not always correct. I do believe they are honest in what they think and believe.

I recommend reading the following paper by Rob Kirby, it explains derivatives and many other things which are being used to manipulate markets.

In light of the quandary to take or not to take certificates, I decided to take certificates of specific stocks that I intend to keep, just in case. Stocks like Newmont, Gold Corp and a few others for safe keeping. Because I have absolutely Zero trust in the Big Banks like the Fed, JPM, GS et. al., and because these entities have co-opted the central Governments of Europe, Japan and North America, I believe it prudent to diversify assets into as many safe classes as possible.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:23 am,

HI Clay,

No one is always correct. Thank you for bringing that important fact up. We all must remember that.

• On January 14, 2012 at 9:26 am,
        EDWARD MURPHY says:

you’ll not have another chance to change your mind once derivatives are marked to market! Sinclair is usually very early but ALWAYS Correct!!!!
        good job tj

• On January 14, 2012 at 9:47 am,
          Clay says:

That is true, but no one is always correct even when they are completely honest. Sinclair is and has been more correct than anyone else I have read or listened to. He is one who practices through meditation the ways of knowing without knowing why, and deepest respect is due. Chapman is a different person. A way to distinguish these two is, Bob will often congratulate himself for being right, Jim only does so reluctantly and rarely.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:25 am,

Hi Clay,

People who congratulate themselves when they are right probably have some issues with their self esteem!

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:23 am,

HI Edward,

Always correct?

• On January 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm,

Don’t get me wrong guys, it is prudent to obtain your certificates. I have simply decided for myself that it’s not necessary.
          The power elite do their best work by stealth and deception. A functioning financial system, which they control, is the best tool they have to continue to transfer society’s wealth to themselves. Overt taxation, no matter how bold and punitive, is kid’s stuff when compared to the system they have now. Taxation can only plunder one or two generations at a time and leads to revolt. The current system allows for much greater theft and includes the theft of even future generations, while going undetected by nearly everyone as it happens. Markets driven by fiat money expansion provide not only huge “investment” gains to the controllers, but also massive tax streams that would not otherwise be possible. Remember that tax authorities recognize all nominal gains as REAL gains. So markets can rise nominally while they’re really falling in real terms, but you still have to pay a capital gains tax.
          So every effort will be made to keep the system together — at least until the effort exceeds the benefits.
          I think it’s odd that everyone is so worried about a future collapse when we’re living it right NOW. Since 1999-2000, the Dow is down more than 80% versus gold; 75% vs. copper; 66% vs. the CCI; 80% vs. oil; etc. Housing and wages have also collapsed in real terms. They will keep printing.
          With so many parked in T-bills and cash, we are very likely to see at least one more big rally. As usual, today’s fears will be a vague memory the next time something really scary happens. [I don't recall Sinclair saying one word about certificates last spring.]

With respect to derivatives, I think the biggest losers will be those who bought them, not the big banks that peddled them as insurance.

• On January 14, 2012 at 8:51 pm,
            castanheiro says:

Hello Matthew,
            Excellent post. As always, good to have your thoughts. On derivatives and the biggest losers you are absolutely correct. The bank’s and hedge fund’s assets will be protected while the customer will take the hit and will lose everything when these behemoths go down, like MF Global. Then add in the 90 day claw back feature and it is even more devastating. Your point that we are living in the collapse is exactly right. Inflation is a slow death, almost imperceptible, but death in stages and degrees. Very perceptive on your part.
            Best

• On January 15, 2012 at 8:46 am,

Hi Matthew,

Very interesting comments re: nominal rates!

Regarding taking delivery of certs, folks must remember that if you decide to sell the certs have to be back in the position of the broker before that sale can be executed!

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:21 am,

Hi Matthew,

Are you saying that it is noot worth the hassle or expense of taking delivery of certs. I personally think that it is if you have any reasons not to have complete confidence in your brokerage firm.

Best,

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:20 am,

Morning Tommy John,

Give me until Monday and I will have a list for you.

5. On January 14, 2012 at 8:42 am,
    James C says:

Al, Always a great show with lots of interesting speakers.
    Yesterday, I picked up a new phone at Walmart and glance at their bargain books and found “END THE FED” by Ron Paul. They marked it down to $3.99. Amazon.Com also has it on sale. They describe it as: “Most people think of the Fed as an indispensable institution without which the country’s economy could not properly function. But in END THE FED, Ron Paul draws on American history, economics, and fascinating stories from his own long political life to argue that the Fed is both corrupt and unconstitutional. It is inflating currency today at nearly a Weimar or Zimbabwe level, a practice that threatens to put us into an inflationary depression where $100 bills are worthless.” (http://www.amazon.com/End-Fed-Ron-Paul/dp/0446549193

As more people become educated on real money and on the corruption in the military – industrial – government complex, they will begin to wake up on how to protect / insure their assets and I don’t mean add more to a traditional 401k or IRA S&P500 index fund !

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:26 am,

Hi James C,

Ron Paul is truly a “light in the wilderness”!

6. On January 14, 2012 at 8:50 am,
    Clay says:

Al and all: Great presentation.

Rob Kirby put together an absolutely fantastic article on Derivatives, Notionals and how the big 5 banks together with the Fed, BOJ and ECB have ponzied up the Sovereign Bond market resulting in government spending bubbles with exponential increasing deficits. This Ponzi money is being used to conduct wars, rig markets, buy elections and subvert multi century laws while at same time causing calamities in the social fabrics.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:27 am,

Morning Clay,

Ponzi schemes are a direct result of fiat currency!

• On January 14, 2012 at 2:31 pm,
        Marc says:

Big Al,
        That is a MAJOR BINGO!

• On January 15, 2012 at 8:50 am,

Hi Marc,

A major bingo that is as obvious as the nose on a person’s face!

• On January 14, 2012 at 9:34 am,
      Clay says:

Jerry: What did you think of Mr. Lindauer’s post? My opinion is he jumped around without any flow or follow through in logic. He makes blind statements like … “countries Greece, Italy, Spain and Prortugal hold in excess of 3000 tons. A good part of that tonnage is almost certain to end up on the market in the near future.” Poorly written, presented and not qualified from a proclaimed PhD in Economics.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:27 am,

Hi Jerry Mabie,

I will check this out. Thanks,

7. On January 14, 2012 at 8:59 am,
    shawn says:

Hi Al, I am beginning to think you maybe right about The Romney, Paul ticket. Ron has only a slight chance of winning The GOP nomination but he has fallen silent on his criticism of Mitt Romney which leads me to believe that he is leaving the door open not only for his son but also for himself as a running mate where he will be able to influence future government directions, considering his age this could be a smart move, as always time will tell. I’m sure other posters here have addressed this concern; I haven’t had time to read through them all.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:30 am,

My prediction stems from conversations with a whole lot of knowledgeable people. I think that you are absolutely correct.

We were at a surprise birthday party last night in Vancouver, B.C. and some folks there are thinking along the lines of Romney/Rice. I do not agree with that one. Ron and his son are just too popular and could bring many votes.

Thanks for your input,

8. On January 14, 2012 at 9:04 am,
    Karen says:

hi Al,
    Ron Paul was correct not jumping on the bash Romney campaign over bain capital. Bain Capital specializes in providing financial and management advice for distressed companies. The goal is to restructure and stay in business but some are too far gone and forced to close. That is capitalism. As Ron Paul said , the candidates bashing Romney sound like democrates.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:31 am,

HI Karen,

I would have to agree with you and this is a point that the Romney campaign has to stress instead of just being defensive.

9. On January 14, 2012 at 9:20 am,
    James C says:

Big Al, I liked your discussion about BIG Government. Yes, we all see our infrastructure to begin to tumble downhill. Even small towns no longer repair their roads like they used to. The goverenment could have used all the TARP money to upgrade the grid for electric cars, to improve the bridges and rail system and add to the power capacity which is getting worse monthly. Intead they created an environment for a depression / long term recession.

The high schools and public schools are contributing to the decline and more and more you notice that public schools can’t get the job done as well on a competitive basis when compared with the rest of the world.

The USA is on the way to decaying from within just like old Roman Empire. Only a real shift in policies and a move away from big govenment can stem the tide and bring the nation out of its race towards becoming a 2nd world class nation.

Reduce gov. regulation, high taxes, and high spending and invest in the future and provide our nation for a climate of restoring our greatness that we used to be known for.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:33 am,

Hi James C,

I would like to add to what you said, but know what? I cannot. Amen!

10. On January 14, 2012 at 9:34 am,
    Bob McCleary says:

Al,
    Car Charging Group is not alone in this segment. The battery cars need to get more range and lower over-all costs. In 5 to 10 years they may be feasible. With the economy probably going to tank in the coming months, no thanks at this time for this company. We need to use nat gas as a bridge fuel !
    I would rather invest in companies happening now, i.e., GERS and SPVEF, on future potential and evaluation basis.

Bob in Iowa

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:34 am,

Hi Bob in Iowa,

Good to hear from you.

I am not endorsing CCG just bringing it to folks attention so that they can see what is going on and making up their own minds.

Nothing wrong with education!

• On January 14, 2012 at 12:05 pm,
      Jerry O^OTB says:

Bob, the electric car companies will still have to combat the big oil companies, just like the ethenol business,,,but , unlike the ethenol business getting the tax credit, I do not see that for the electric car business….
      The electric car is a wonderful idea, but , range and convenience is a problem..

11. On January 14, 2012 at 10:31 am,
    Gerry W says:

I agree with Bob from Iowa. The investment future over the next 5/6 years is what we should watch , anything beyond is way outside any reasonable analysis. The investment in energy storage in my humble opinion ,has to be the new Axion lead carbon battery. Do your self a favour look it up now.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:35 am,

Morning Gerry W,

See my comment to Bob in Iowa!

• On January 15, 2012 at 8:54 am,

HI Gerry W,

Okay I will look into it. Many thanks for the idea,

12. On January 14, 2012 at 10:40 am,
    Larrry says:

My feelings about any and all discussions you have with your guests, does not really project how serious it is for the citizens to get an accurate reading on government statistics. The desire to project a positive outlook overides what is truely factual and theirfore holds back the citizens from properly protecting their assets and accumulating a higher percentage of hard assets. The old paradyme of holding 5 or 10% of hard assets to me does not cover or protect the peolples life style. People need to think much higher.

• On January 14, 2012 at 11:36 am,

HI Larry,

I really try to stress the importance of accurate readings. That is why we quote John Williams and others so much.

Okay, I will be a bit more emphatic in the future.

13. On January 14, 2012 at 11:19 am,
    Joe says:

Al,
    Car Charging Group sounds interesting, I’m a big believer in the future of batter powered cars.
    Check out a company called Better Place, they’re based here in Silicon Valley and it was started by Shai Agassi. Very smart, confident guy who has had huge investment in his company, GE just put in a couple hundred million in the company.
    Their angle is that the cars would drive into what would look like a gas station when their batteries run low. The battery is then pulled out and a new one put in and the driver is in and out in less than 5 minutes.

Check it out.

14. On January 14, 2012 at 11:37 am,

Morning Joe,

Thanks for the tip, I will follow the link and check this company out.

Best,

15. On January 14, 2012 at 12:50 pm,
    BJ says:

I muse at the corporate (mainstream) media. They would have us believe that their Wall Street darling—Romney—is the only one who can beat Obama. Oh please!

After 8 years of Bush, America would’ve elected Elmer Fudd or that “silly wabbit” as long as he didn’t ride into town riding an elephant. Then, came Obama riding a donkey! How biblical is that? Even the corporate media gave him near-god status; but now, Obama is a false savior. So who can really beat Obama?

Since you can’t win a national election without the independent, unaffiliated voters—the largest block voting block in America you need a Republican who resonates and plays well with others?

Romney-The Liquidator. Nope!

He has a proud history as a corporate raider who used leverage buyouts to plunder the pension funds of domestic companies and then sent the remains (if any) of his bankrupted companies (along with American jobs) to the Third World. Wall Street loves him for that, and his cronies are spending tens of millions of anonymous dollars to put a happy face on Romney’s record.

Gingrich-The Engineer. No again.

As Speaker of the House he railroaded NAFTA and GATT down the throats of American middle class workers who watched millions of their manufacturing jobs go to the Third World—that “giant sucking sound”. Like it or not, those who lost those jobs vote.

Gingrich was also the Mr. “Contract with America” who defaulted miserably on his contract. Even so, we can’t call him a partisan because he screwed everyone. It wasn’t a left or right thing for the Newt; it was up or down thing—where Main Street got the downside by having to pay taxes to subsidize the exporting of their jobs. In a truly free market, there are no government subsidies, deductions, credits and other forms of corporate welfare.

Next comes the God Squad: Perry, Santorum & Gingrich.

If not the pious, let’s leave it to God to sort out. If history repeats itself, it will be the one who wraps a hairy goatskin around his around his neck and upon his hands to deceive the blind—Genesis, CH7. As it was, so it is and will be when it comes to domestic politics. This time around the American flag is the wrapper.

I just pray voters abstain from Santorum, since he lost his US Senate seat by the widest margin of any incumbent. Can he even carry his home state of Pennsylvania in a general election?

Next comes Perry, who can’t remember three main points any better than Bush can come up with one truthful reason for blowing up Iraq. Even so, Perry gets high marks for his Texas two-step as a Christian cowboy. It sure beats Romney’s East Coast shuffle. In any case, the neocons can’t run on Iraq and can’t run away from it, and Perry and Bush are just two plates of beans out of the same pot.

Now comes Huntsman—who is obviously running for Secretary of State. Why not, and who cares?

This brings us to Ron Paul—the man the corporate media loves to ignore. The last thing they want is an intelligent discussion on the merits of honest money and Constitutional government. Try as they might, the corporate media can’t confuse Ron Paul’s message because it’s plain and simple, clear and consistent. He would throw light upon the troglodytes who operate under the cover of darkness at the expense to the American taxpayers.

What’s wrong with casting light on the phantoms of the night into the Federal Reserve, K Street, Congress, and everywhere else the peoples’ money is being shuffled off in unseemly ways to the undeserving under the cover of darkness? The “mainstream media” avoids the question because they can’t stand the answer.

So who can beat Obama? Ron Paul is the ONLY Republican candidate pulling large numbers of independent voters in the open primaries, even fiscally conservative Democrats. That’s a very broad and growing base. Paul can easily win independents from Obama because now Obama his record to defend, whereas before it was anybody but Bush.

Indeed, Ron Paul is leading the Republican Party back to its roots among mainstream Americans. For once in a very long time, Americans don’t have to choose between the lesser of two evils. They can vote for honest money and Constitutional government (Ron Paul) or vote for the status quo from big government Republicans and Democrats. Plain and simple, Ron Paul is the only Republican candidate that can beat Obama.

• On January 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm,
      BJ says:

That was Genesis Ch 27, not Ch 7.

• On January 15, 2012 at 9:01 am,

Morning BJ,,

Thank you for your well-written and insightful comment.

I pretty much agree with you regarding the rest of the players in the race. Ron is the only one who has never waffled or changed any of his stances. That really says something about the man.

Is America ready for a change in his direction? I truly hope so!

Best,

• On January 19, 2012 at 10:28 am,
      John W. Robertson says:

I’m posting well after most people will check on the comments, but I really liked your post BJ. Some will point out Paul’s weaknesses (everyone has a few). Paul is not just a lesser evil as you say, but a real, decent choice. Whatever Paul’s difference stance on foreign policy that worry some, I’m sure the other 534 legislators will make-up for and still override. Paul’s calming influence on their otherwise unchecked rampages is exactly the balance needed, not someone who is just like the rest.

16. On January 14, 2012 at 1:07 pm,
    Jerry Mabie says:

BJ,
    Your reasons for why the others can’t win don’t outweigh your reasons why Paul can win.
    I like your explanations but they are tinted toward spin, not that it is bad if you are trying to sway opinion. Your explanations on Romney,Gingrich,Santorum and Perry leave out some very important points which are too lengthy to publish here. Knowing the important points you left out radically changes the picture you are painting.
    Otherwise: Informative post.

• On January 14, 2012 at 1:24 pm,
      BJ says:

The points I left out benefit Romney, Gingrich, Santorum and Perry. The less you know about them, the better they look. But as you suggest, we can’t write a book here.

The reason why they can’t win are very weighty even though they don’t outweigh why Paul can win. People are fed up with the status quo and business as usual. They are ready for Constitutional government; they are ready a Ron Paul. The problem is that the establishment/trenched power in the Republican Party don’t really want honest money and Constitutional government. Look at their record when they were in complete control of government.

I am a Ron Paul fan. He’s the only Republican I’ll vote for. What most Republicans don’t get is that Libertarians and the like don’t take votes away from the Republican Party. Instead they only vote for Republicans they like–and never the lessor of two evils.

• On January 14, 2012 at 4:02 pm,
        Jerry O^OTB says:

BJ…GREAT POST….DO NOT WORRY ABOUT JERRY M..MIS DIRECTION HE JUST DOES NOT LIKE PAUL…GO BACK AND SEE HIS QUOTES…HE LIKES SANTORUM…

• On January 15, 2012 at 9:07 am,

Remember Mr. In the Box,

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion!

• On January 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm,
            Jerry O^OTB says:

opinion… as defined by webster ….is” subjective belief”…
            and is subject to disbelief and disbelief is no relief, with out Facts and facts are required to bring one to a final conclusion,
            and without a conclusion, you may have a delusion in you conclusion,
            which in turns leads to confusion.

• On January 15, 2012 at 5:43 pm,

Mr. In the Box,

I just read disbelief is no relief, etc.

Time for my Sunday night cocktail!

But you know what, that is pretty true!

• On January 15, 2012 at 9:06 am,

Morning BJ,

Libertarians do vote on occasion for the Republicans they like but I have not seen that happen very often Probably because they don’t see many of the republicans as being a whole lot different from the dems.

Best,

• On January 15, 2012 at 9:35 am,
        Al Korelin says:

HI BJ,

Interestingly enough, he is also the only republican that my oldest daughter will vote for.

She really likes Ron and can give many concrete reasons for her feelings!

Best,

• On January 16, 2012 at 9:50 am,
          BJ says:

I know, it’s the same for my adult daughter and the other young adults in my life.

There was an unscientific poll this weekend on Face Book (the playground of the up and coming across the globe. Ron Paul got 17,000 votes; Gingrich: 7,000, Romney 7,000. Clearly, Ron Paul he resonates with the better educated among our youth, to include college students/graduates.

It’s time for all the grump old goats with a crony capitalist mindset in the Republican Party to recognize that the ‘future’ of their Party wants honest money and Constitutional government. Implicit in that is truly free market. They want their Bill of Rights back–their liberty, privacy and freedom. They want to pursue their dreams without having some mindless centralized planner (hired by THE employer of last resort–the government) tell them what’s politically correct in a Machiavellian/Totalitarian State. They want their government to work for them, not the other way around.

• On January 15, 2012 at 9:04 am,

Morning Jerry Mabie,

When you have time, please simply list the important points re: Romney, Gingrich, etc.

Thanks in advance,

• On January 19, 2012 at 10:32 am,
      John W. Robertson says:

I always appreciate Jerry Mabie’s counterpoints, as they are what many good people feel, and back in 2007 when the first “Paul” election signs were going up, what I felt. He seemed unelectable, therefore, there’s a large risk nominating any such person. By just 2008, I was on-board with Paul, and as time, debates and terrible policy have continued, he looks so much better. But many still see foreign policy or Paul’s stance on very-small government as threatening. If a president were a dictator, I might worry about any one person. But with the out-of-proportion control the rest of Congress has right now, I think some opposite positions from the Executive office is exactly what’s needed right now.

• On May 8, 2012 at 7:38 pm,
        Diego says:

I merely weatnd to thank you one more time for the amazing web site you have produced here. It can be full of ideas for those who are genuinely interested in that subject, in particular this very post. You’re really all really sweet plus thoughtful of others in addition to the fact that reading your site posts is an excellent delight in my opinion. And such a generous reward! Tom and I usually have pleasure making use of your tips in what we have to do next week. Our list is a distance long which means your tips are going to be put to excellent use.

17. On January 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm,
    Jerry Mabie says:

BJ,
    Please ignore the previous post. I took an oath to discuss finances, not politics and violated my own oath. Won’t happen again. Doesn’t matter who wins the White House as long as it isn’t bo. Four years is not enough time fix the problems from the last 40.

• On January 14, 2012 at 8:07 pm,
      castanheiro says:

Hi Jerry M,
      Keep the political posts coming. While we will not all agree,(I mean heck, there’s disagreement in my own family), a broader discussion is preferable to a narrower one. As long as we keep disagreement civil, it is fine, and as Big Al is wont to say, politics and economics go hand in hand. I personally think BJs post was spot on, but we are all different and have our personal preferences. I agree with your last sentence, “Doesn’t matter who wins the White House as long as it isn’t bo. Four years is not enough time fix the problems from the last 40.” I’d say the last 90, but who’s counting. Any of those running on the GOP ticket would be better than the Kenyan who’s in there now. And, I believe there is no doubt as to their US citizenship.

• On January 15, 2012 at 9:11 am,

Thanks Mr. C,

Jerry M, I completely agree with Mr. C.

We need all the input in this forum that we can possibly get. There is absolutely nothing wrong with diverse opinions. That is the only possible way we can all learn.

This forum, in my mind is definitely all about learning and expanding our horizons. With all of the great input here, I believe that it is definitely happening!

Thanks to all for being such great teachers!

18. On January 14, 2012 at 3:27 pm,
    Marc says:

Big Al,
    I looked up the Uranium ETF’s today and NLR and URA (powershares and global X) are both hovering around their muli-year lows, I think I might pull the trigger on this investment, because these investments are still suffering from the post-yukishima blues. Might be a good time to scoop these up and buy and holds…Nuclear power is not going anywhere with literally dozens and dozens of plants going on-line all around the world in the short to medium term. It is still a top “clean” and viable energy play.
    Marc

• On January 14, 2012 at 3:30 pm,
      Marc says:

BTW, another great show – again! I am hopefully getting over to the Indian Wells conference and spend the two days learning from all you guys – just sign up today. Hopefully, I can clear my schedule and make the short drive over from SD.
      Marc

• On January 15, 2012 at 9:38 am,
        Al Korelin says:

Let’s definitely get together if you are over there.

• On May 6, 2012 at 7:37 am,
        Nhedy says:

Diana,When Romney answers yes it’ll hlrday rock the boat unless so-called Christians doing the questioning further imitate their Pharisee predicessors and try spouting anti-Mormon ignorance. Nobody asking about Romney’s beliefs has a true interest in his political stance, since the two are separate. They are just picking fights, stirring contention, and hoping to obscure truth.It’s interesting that so-called Christians are anything but Christlike.

• On January 15, 2012 at 9:38 am,
      Al Korelin says:

Morning Marc,

We will try and discuss uranium and related investments tomorrow.

Thanks for the input,

19. On January 14, 2012 at 5:51 pm,
    Jed Davis says:

Anyone who is serious about the resource sector and doesn’t take a good look at Timmins and Extorre is doing themselves a big disservice. In my opinion, Roger Wiegand hit the nail on the head.

• On January 15, 2012 at 9:41 am,
      Al Korelin says:

Morning Jed,

The birthday party Kathy and I went to in Vancouver, B.C. Friday night was for Yale Simpsons wife. Al the players from Extorre and Exeter were there as was Bruce Bragagnolo and his wife.

I have to say again, these are some of the most hard working and honest people that I have ever been associated with.

Best,

• On January 15, 2012 at 11:09 am,
        Jed Davis says:

It would have been nice to be in the company of people I have so much respect for. I am sure for you, it was a day to remember.

• On January 15, 2012 at 11:37 am,

Yep, they have all become good friends and the evening was really great!

Best,

• On January 15, 2012 at 3:56 pm,
        Jed Davis says:

Hard work and honest are synonymous with success. That is what you have in the making with these two companies. At least, that is the way I see it.

• On January 15, 2012 at 5:41 pm,

HI Jed,

I agree,

20. On January 14, 2012 at 11:44 pm,
    MattB says:

Thanks to Big Al and RW for their service.
    To expand upon the Dai Uy post I have read that the stated indebtedness of the US is a fallacy.The US Dollar has been counterfeited and reproduced into complete worthlessness.Besides counterfeit USD’s world-wide the US government has printed dollars outside the US to aid in armed struggle the world over.There is ample evidence on the web that the USD is a fluff of cotton about to blow in the wind.
    The US has counterfeited Japanese,Burmese,Philipines,Malayan,Cuban,VietNamese,Iraqi notes,etc..
    The US issues USD notes on one side and propaganda on the other in war theatres.
    Folks should imagine the US has printed USD’s in every situation possible for the last 60 years.Controlling the world was at the expense of the liberty of America.
    The currency is done and foreign governments the world over are telling us that by dropping the USD exchange mechanism for international settlements and purchasing gold and real materials.
    -In l997 a total of $136,205,241 in counterfeit U.S.currency was discovered worldwide?
    -The United States $100 bill was (is?) known to have been very exactly counterfeited by a middle east country or faction. The note is known as “super K”. The U.S. General Accounting Office in 1996 issued a report in February of 1996, mentioning this note is also known as the “Supernote” or the “Superbill” and is referred to as the “C-14342 Family” by the Secret Service. The dual uses were to generate money for terrorist activities and to cripple the U.S. economy.

Dai Uy says:

• On January 15, 2012 at 9:43 am,
      Al Korelin says:

Morning MattB,

Interesting points on your part.

Please give me some links discussing your comments.

Thanks,

21. On January 15, 2012 at 1:41 am,
    Lynn - (male) says:

Hi Al,

As much as I’m sorry to hear/say this, but I feel the same pessimism as you. 40% is just an infallible number for a country that found itself upon individual freedoms.

I have to agree with Rog when he says that we should read other things to not be so saddened.

Preparing,
    Lynn

• On January 15, 2012 at 9:46 am,
      Al Korelin says:

Hi Lynn,

I too agree completely with Rog. If you spend all of your time in this space you will begin to be pessimistic all of the time. God wants us to be aware and informed, but He also wants us to strive for positive change. If we believe what He teaches us, we realize that happiness is part of his plan.

• On January 15, 2012 at 10:38 am,
        Marc says:

Amen Big Al……Amen
        Marc

22. On January 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm,
    Jerry Mabie says:

Most of you have probably heard this but for those that haven’t it’s a great interview.

• On January 15, 2012 at 3:52 pm,
      Al Korelin says:

Many thanks Mr. Mabie,

23. On January 15, 2012 at 8:24 pm,
    benb says:

1. Mitt Romney supports “crippling sanctions” against Iran because, he declares, “the greatest threat that Israel faces, and frankly the greatest threat the world faces, is a nuclear Iran.” Again, it makes no difference if Romney really believes this or is just playing for Zionist lobby money. He adds to the building war mania and gets in line for his share of responsibility for the sanctions that are undercutting the livelihoods of innocent people.

This is a piece from an article on Consortuim news.
    I guess my point would be Ron Paul or its a continuation of Bush/Bush/Obama.
    Doug Casey and Bob moriarity might have been correct to just leave as there is no beating the evil that is in the U.S. but for those that decided to stay and do something. Its time.

• On January 16, 2012 at 8:15 am,

As you know benb we are trying to do our part in informing folks as to what we believe is going on.

Ron Paul is looking better and better isn’t he!

24. On January 16, 2012 at 3:23 am,
    Dennis Brophy says:

Al… great show, love all your cast and comments as always… Amen on Ron Paul for President. What do you think about `Stop HR 3261(SOPA) & S 968(PI PA) Internet Blacklist Bills. Opponents of SOPA: are vast, but to mention a few Nancy Pelosi(D-CA) & Ron Paul(R-TX). Now reading some literature there seems to be much concern that American pharmaceuticals are in faror of bills to protect themselves. And to prevent us from purchasing cheaper drugs elsewhere. The line-up of for and against are lengthy read craigslist online community for starters. Seems like people want to shut down the internet. Is America wanting to much to be like another China?

25. On January 16, 2012 at 8:13 am,

Good Morning Dennis,

Look for a comment on your questions later this morning.

Many thanks for joining us.

Best,

• On May 8, 2012 at 11:18 pm,
      Franc says:

Thank you for the blog post. Thomas and I have already been sviang for our new guide on this subject matter and your blog post has made us to save our own money. Your thoughts really responded all our concerns. In fact, in excess of what we had known before we came upon your great blog. I no longer nurture doubts plus a troubled mind because you have attended to our needs right here. Thanks

26. On January 16, 2012 at 8:46 am,
    mary says:

Hello Al,

There has been a lot of conversation lately on “do you really own your gold shares”
    regarding how to protect yourself from another MF Global. Perhaps a good
    topic for the weekend show would be to talk about “direct name registration”
    and get a couple of experts from brokerage houses over even someone from
    the SIPC. This seems to be a very timely topic for the participants on this blog.

• On January 16, 2012 at 9:27 am,

Good Morning Mary,

Good idea, consider it done.

27. On January 16, 2012 at 9:12 am,
    benb says:

Hi, I know. Good show again by the way.
    Just somtimes I get information that accentuates the severity of this situation.
    This ndaa and fema is exactly as the fascists of the 40s. By design or chance horrers of history are going to repeat.
    People that were there lived thru it all and with 40-50 years perspective saw the ultimate reason this can/will happen is people refuse to think.
    Some time ago you may recall I was repeatedly saying “its the banks”, now many people are seeing that to be the case. Now Im seeing an agenda that I dont believe any good man god or goddess would approve of. I believe for some people it is worth every waking moment and every penny they have to promote RP. AS if he doesnt get in, it will be their freedom/lives and that of their families. This is serious and its following the pattern step by step.
    Well, lets hope Im just ranting.
    Thanks for the show Al.

• On January 16, 2012 at 4:45 pm,
      Jerry O^OTB says:

benb….great post…..I think you are correct…..we are going to be in trouble or more trouble if more do not wake up…

28. On January 17, 2012 at 6:14 am,
    Bobby says:

Al,
    I wonder why you didnt mention the Paul/Romney ticket to Jeff Deist? Personally I doubt Paul would team up with any of the other current candidates.
    Bobby